#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: TRYING TO BE AN ADULT
Not necessarily harder.
Just...different.
When I was in college, my schedule had a rhythm that was flexible.
I'd go to class, work a few hours, grab coffee with friends, film content between meetings, squeeze in a workout, take Duke on a walk, or spend an afternoon studying somewhere new. If I wanted to meal prep on a Tuesday afternoon or take a quick nap before evening homework, I usually had the flexibility to make that happen.
Now my days look very different.
I wake up, commute to work, spend the day learning and collaborating with my new team, drive home, make dinner, work on my final college class, get ready for the next day, and before I know it, it's time to go to bed and do it all again.
It's not a bad thing.
In fact, I'm genuinely enjoying my new role. My coworkers have been incredibly welcoming, my commute isn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I'm grateful every day that I get to work for a university I already care so much about.
But I'd be lying if I said this transition hasn't stretched me.
Suddenly, I'm comparing health insurance plans.
Learning about employee benefits.
Figuring out retirement options.
Managing a commute.
Trying to get enough sleep.
(Which is arguably more difficult in this stage than in college...which is crazy to say).
Wondering when I'm supposed to grocery shop, meal prep, work out, clean, spend time with family, invest in friendships, grow my faith, pursue creative projects, and still have a little time left over just to breathe.
Some days, it feels like adulthood is one giant game of calendar Tetris.
The funny thing is, none of those responsibilities are bad.
It's just different.
And new things take time.
I've realized that this season isn't about having the perfect routine right away.
It's about deciding what matters most and building my life around those priorities, one habit at a time.
Right now, my workout routine isn't where I'd like it to be AT ALL!
Meal prepping is still a work in progress.
I'm learning how to balance weekends that sometimes include work with making time for family and friends.
But I've also been intentional about one small habit that's helped me feel grounded: giving myself something to look forward to each day.
Sometimes that's dinner with my family.
Sometimes it's walking Duke after work.
Sometimes it's crafting with my boyfriend's family, grabbing coffee, or watching a soccer match after a long day.
Those little moments remind me that life isn't waiting for the weekend to begin.
It's happening every single day.
Maybe that's the biggest lesson I've learned so far.
Adulthood isn't about having everything figured out.
It's about learning how to build a life that reflects what you value, even when your schedule looks completely different than it used to.
I'm still figuring it out.
I'm still adjusting.
And honestly, I think that's okay.
Because maybe growing up isn't about suddenly becoming an adult overnight.
Maybe it's about giving yourself the grace to become one, one ordinary Tuesday at a time.

Comments
Post a Comment