#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: GETTING THE FIRST JOB OFFER
A few weeks ago, I wrote that the question I hear most is:
"So...what's next?"
And for the past few months,
I didn't have an answer.
I had possibilities.
I had applications.
I had spreadsheets.
I had interviews.
I had....a lot of coffee.
But I still didn't have an answer.
Now, I am happy to tell you all....
I FINALLY DO!
This week, I officially accepted a
full-time position with Texas Tech University at DFW,
and somehow, everything feels a little more real.
For months, job searching has been a part-time job in itself.
Between applications, cover letters, networking, updating my resume,
preparing for interviews, and checking my email more times than
I'd like to admit, finding a job after graduation felt both exciting and overwhelming.
Everyone tells you that your senior year goes by quickly.
They're more right than I could have imagined.
What they don't tell you is how strange it feels to actively prepare for a
chapter you haven't started yet while still living in the one you're currently in.
I've spent the past few months balancing classes, work, content creation,
blog writing, applications, and trying to enjoy my final year at Texas Tech.
Some days, I felt confident.
Some days, I wondered if I was doing enough.
To be quite honest, I felt that way most days.
Some days, I felt like everyone else had their future figured out, except me.
But through all of it, I kept showing up!
I kept applying.
I kept learning.
I kept trusting that something would work out.
And eventually, it did.
The funny thing is that getting the job didn't make all of the uncertainty disappear.
Instead, it changes the questions.
Now I'm thinking about moving.
Starting my first full-time role.
Balancing work while finishing my final college class.
Leaving Lubbock! So bittersweet.
Building a life in Dallas.
Beginning a career.
The future no longer feels abstract.
It's here.
And, if I am being totally honest...that's both exciting and a little terrifying.
But mostly, I'm grateful.
Grateful for every mentor who offered advice.
Grateful for every professor who helped me grow.
Grateful for every friend who listened to me talk through applications, interviews, and all the fear.
Grateful for every opportunity that prepared me for this one,
especially the role I am about to leave!
& grateful for the version of myself that kept going,
even when I didn't know how things would turn out.
One really big thing this process has taught me is that
growth doesn't always happen when you get the outcome you want.
A lot of growth happens while you're waiting.
While you're applying.
While you're getting rejected.
While you're learning how to stay hopeful without any guarantees.
Because those months of uncertainty still shaped me.
The offer is exciting!
But the person I became while working toward it matters too.
The best part?
For the first time in a while,
I actually have a solid answer when people ask what's next.
And my next chapter looks pretty exciting.
Now, if you'll excuse me...
I have a graduation to finish, a move to plan, and a new chapter to begin!! 🤍




Comments
Post a Comment