#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: THE FIRST DAY
Typing that sentence still does NOT feel real!
Just a few weeks ago, I was assisting with orientation at the College of Media & Communication, walking across campus in Lubbock between classes, lounging at the TTU Rec Pool, making coffee before work, and wondering where I'd be after graduation.
Now, I'm back in Dallas.
The boxes are starting to get unpacked.
My closet somehow survived the move.
My calendar is already filling up.
And tomorrow morning, I'll drive to my first full-time job.
It's funny how life changes!
Not all at once.
Then somehow...all at once.
This transition has been one of the biggest reminders that growth often happens quietly.
For months, I was updating resumes, tracking applications in spreadsheets, preparing for interviews, and wondering if everything would work out.
Those moments felt slow while I was living them.
But looking back now, I can see they were preparing me for this exact season.
Tomorrow isn't just the first day of a new job.
It feels like the beginning of a new rhythm.
I'll still be finishing my final semester of college.
I'll still be creating content.
I'll still be writing these blogs every week.
But now, I'm also learning what it means to balance a full-time career with everything else that matters to me.
If I'm being honest, I'm excited.
I'm grateful.
And yes—a little nervous.
I don't know everything yet.
There will be new systems to learn, new coworkers to meet, and plenty of moments where I'll probably feel like the newest person in the room.
But that's okay.
Every professional I admire was once the person walking into their first day.
I've been thinking a lot about what success looks like in this next chapter.
A younger version of me probably would've answered with a job title.
Now, I think my answer is different.
Success looks like staying curious.
Showing up prepared.
Treating people well.
Asking thoughtful questions.
Being dependable.
Continuing to learn.
And remembering that no opportunity is too small to do with excellence.
One thing this series has taught me is that transition doesn't happen in one defining moment.
It happens through a hundred small decisions.
Submitting one more application.
Packing one more box.
Saying one more goodbye.
Setting one more alarm.
Walking through one more unfamiliar door.
Tomorrow is one of those doors.
I don't know exactly what this next season will look like.
But I know who I want to be as I walk into it.
And I think that's a pretty good place to start.
Here's to first days, fresh starts, and trusting that the next chapter might be even better than the last.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment