#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: THE TIME TRADE OFF

 

Have you ever reached the end of the day and thought,

"How is it already bedtime?"

Not because you spent the day doing nothing.

But because life suddenly feels...full.

Lately, that's been the biggest adjustment for me.

When I was in college, my schedule was busy, but it was flexible. Between classes, I could decide how I wanted to spend my afternoon. Maybe I'd work for a few hours, grab coffee with a friend, go to the gym, write a blog post, film content, take Duke on a walk, or knock out homework before dinner.

There was a sense of freedom in the way my time was structured.

Now, my days look different.



I work full-time, I'm finishing my last college class, and I'm learning how to build a life around a much more structured schedule. When I get home, there are only so many hours left before it's time to start the next day all over again.

And I've realized something.

Adulthood isn't necessarily about having less time.

It's about having fewer hours that are truly yours.

That's a subtle difference, but it's changed the way I think about my evenings.

After work, I still want to work out.

I want to meal prep.

I want to write.

I want to spend time with my family.

I want to see my friends.

I want to grow my faith.

I want to create content.

I want to walk Duke.

I want to read more.

I want to rest.

The reality is...I can't do all of those things in one evening.

For a while, that frustrated me.

It felt like I was constantly falling behind somewhere.

If I chose the gym, I wasn't meal prepping.

If I wrote a blog post, I wasn't editing a video.

If I spent time with family, I wasn't answering emails.

No matter what I chose, something else had to wait.

But lately, I've started looking at it differently.

Maybe balance isn't doing everything every day.

Maybe balance is knowing what deserves your attention today.

Some evenings, my priority is finishing homework.

Other nights, it's cooking a healthy dinner.

Sometimes it's catching up with a friend over coffee.

Sometimes it's taking Duke on a long walk because we both need it.

And sometimes?

The most productive thing I can do is go to bed early.

I'm realizing that every "yes" comes with a "not today."

That isn't failure.

It's life.

Instead of asking myself, "How can I fit everything in?" I've started asking a different question:

"What's the most important thing I can say yes to today?"

That one question has brought me a lot more peace.

Because adulthood isn't a competition to see who can juggle the most.

It's learning to choose your priorities with intention.

The to-do list will still be there tomorrow.

The laundry will eventually get folded.

The emails will get answered.

The workout can happen another day.

Life isn't built in one perfect evening.

It's built through hundreds of ordinary ones.

So if you're in a season where it feels impossible to keep up, maybe this is your reminder that you don't have to win every category every day.

You just have to choose what matters most today.

And maybe that's enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: GETTING THE FIRST JOB OFFER

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: THE FIRST DAY

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: RECENTLY IN LUBBOCK