#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: BUILDING A NEW ROUTINE

 

If there's one thing I've learned during my first week of working full-time, it's this:

A routine isn't something you suddenly wake up with.

It's something you build.

One morning.

One habit.

One day at a time.

A week ago, I was packing boxes and wondering what this new chapter would feel like. Now, I've officially completed my first week as a full-time employee with Texas Tech University at Dallas, and while I definitely don't have everything figured out, I'm starting to settle into a rhythm.

One thing I've been incredibly grateful for is the people.

Starting somewhere new can feel intimidating, but everyone has been so welcoming and kind. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of my time at the College of Media & Communication. It's collaborative, supportive, and full of people who genuinely want to help each other succeed.

That has made this transition so much easier.

At the same time, I'm still learning what it looks like to balance a full-time job with my final college class.

Some evenings are dedicated to homework.

Some weekends include work.

Some nights I'm taking quizzes instead of relaxing.

It's definitely an adjustment, but it's also reminding me how much good time management matters.

One thing that's improved almost immediately is my sleep schedule.

Working consistent hours has naturally helped me go to bed earlier and wake up around the same time every morning. It's a small change, but it's made a big difference in how I feel throughout the day.

Even with a busier schedule, I'm trying to protect something that's become really important to me: having something to look forward to every day.

It doesn't have to be anything big.

Sometimes it's dinner with family.

Sometimes it's catching up with friends.

Sometimes it's grabbing coffee after work or taking Duke on a longer walk.

This weekend, it was making a Norway flag tank top with my boyfriend's sister-in-law before watching the Women's World Cup after work.

Those little moments matter.

They remind me that life isn't something that begins after work is over. It's happening in between the meetings, errands, and responsibilities, too.

Of course, there are still parts of my routine that need work.

I haven't been consistent with movement yet. Right now, walking Duke has been my main form of movement, and honestly, that's okay for right now.

I'm also figuring out grocery shopping and meal prepping again.

Back in Lubbock, I had a system that worked really well. Here in DFW, everything feels a little different. Different stores. Different schedule. Different kitchen. Different rhythm.

It's a reminder that sometimes you don't need a brand-new routine.

You just need to give yourself permission to tweak and rebuild the one that worked before.

I think that's what this season is really teaching me.

Not how to have everything perfectly organized.

But how to be patient enough to build a life that feels sustainable.

One habit at a time.

One grocery trip at a time.

One workout at a time.

One week at a time.

And honestly?

I think that's enough for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: GETTING THE FIRST JOB OFFER

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: THE FIRST DAY

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: RECENTLY IN LUBBOCK