#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: THE BALANCING ACT

If there is one thing this summer keeps teaching me, it's the importance of balance and flexibility.

Not the easy kind of balance, like standing on one leg.

And not the fun kind of flexibility, like touching your toes after yoga class.

The real kind.

The kind where plans change. Systems break. Things take longer than expected. People don't answer emails. Financial aid gets confusing. Job applications sit unanswered. And suddenly the timeline you had neatly organized in your head starts looking a little different.



As someone who loves a good spreadsheet, calendar, checklist, and plan, this has been challenging.

I like knowing what's next.

I like having a roadmap.

I like feeling prepared.

But lately, I've been realizing that some of the biggest transitions in life don't come with a perfectly organized itinerary.

This summer, I'm balancing work, content creation, job applications, blog writing, and summer classes while preparing for graduation in August.

Some days it feels exciting!

Other days it feels like I'm juggling ten tabs in my brain at once.

Both can be true.

One thing I've learned recently is that flexibility isn't about lowering your standards or abandoning your goals.

It's about adjusting your approach while keeping your destination in mind.

The goal is still graduation.

The goal is still finding a job.

The goal is still building a life that aligns with my values.

The path just might not look exactly how I imagined it would.

I think a lot of us put pressure on ourselves to have everything figured out by a certain age, timeline, or milestone.

But life rarely follows our perfectly color-coded plans, does it?

Sometimes opportunities arrive unexpectedly.

Sometimes doors stay closed longer than we hoped.

Sometimes the best thing we can do is keep showing up and trust that progress is still happening, even when it feels slower than we'd like.

Lately, I've been trying to focus less on controlling every outcome and more on controlling my effort.

Showing up to work.

Submitting applications.

Turning in assignments.

Going to the gym.

Creating content.

Staying connected with the people I care about.

Doing the next right thing.

Because that's really all any of us can do!

And maybe, flexibility isn't a sign that you're off track.

Maybe it's a sign that you're growing.

So, if your summer isn't looking exactly how you planned, you're not alone.

Mine isn't either!

But maybe there's something beautiful about learning how to adapt while continuing to move forward.

One assignment, one application, and one day at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: GETTING THE FIRST JOB OFFER

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: THE FIRST DAY

#PREPOSTGRAD DIARIES: RECENTLY IN LUBBOCK